Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Striking a Chord
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
The Rotary Club of Wall Street New York is pleased to invite you to our Third Annual Film Screening. Please join us for a screening of the extremely powerful documentary, Striking a Chord. Our screening will benefit the work of The Bob Woodruff Foundation (Remind.org). an organization that has impacted well over 1,000,000 service members, veterans, family members, and support personnel.
Striking a Chord brings the audience right into the army bases in Iraq. The film shows the boredom and isolation, the effect of repeated deployments, and the need to create experiences that bring the troops some consolation. Long lines of soldiers waiting to speak with Nell Bryden and the band after every concert attest to the effect of the music on the troops. Their fervent applause and heartfelt comments show how deeply they respond to the concerts.
Inter-cut with uplifting and moving scenes of Nell’s performances and talks with the soldiers are interviews with a psychiatrist who discusses how music addresses PTSD, promoting relaxation, expression of feelings and healing invisible battle scars.
Most importantly, Striking a Chord reminds us that when our soldiers return home, they need special care and attention. PTSD is a disorder which many veterans are ashamed to speak about, yet it’s all too common. As the film shows, music can provide a way to begin the healing process.
- Wednesday, May 16, 2012
- Location: Tribeca Cinemas
- Doors open at 6:30, Film begins at 7:00
- Screening is followed by Panel Discussion and Q&A
- Susan Rockefeller, award winning filmmaker
- Gerry Byrne, Vice Chairman, Penske Media Corporation, Marine Officer in Vietnam
- Lieutenant Colonel Scott Rainey, Director, Human Resources, US Army War College
- Colin Heffron, Co-Chairman of the Bob Woodruff Foundation
- A reception for all attendees will take place after the film with food provided by Murray's Cheese, limited open bar (wine & beer), and live music by Eric Lindberg & the Dusty Gentleman
- Tickets are $55 with part of the proceeds supporting the work of The Bob Woodruff Foundation (Remind.org)
If you can't join us at the event, click on the button below to donate via PayPal.